CoDAS
http://www.codas.periodikos.com.br/article/doipath/10.1590/2317-1782/20202019071
CoDAS
Artigo Original

Sense of Coherence and the fear of public speaking in university students

Senso de Coerência e o medo de falar em público em universitários

Júlia Janssen Pantuza; Ingrid Occhi Alexandre; Adriane Mesquita de Medeiros; Anna Carolina Ferreira Marinho; Letícia Caldas Teixeira

Downloads: 0
Views: 77

Abstract

Purpose: To test the association between the Sense of Coherence (SOC) and the fear of public speaking in university students. Method: Cross-sectional study was carried out with a sample of 1124 undergraduate students of a Brazilian public university. An online questionnaire was used divided into three blocks: the first evaluated the sociodemographic data and the somatic symptoms of the fear of public speaking; the second evaluated the SOC, through the SOC-13 questionnaire; and the third was composed by the Scale for Self-Assessment in Public Speaking (SSPS), with questions that point out cognitive aspects of this activity. The students were divided into two groups (high SOC and low SOC) through the Two-step Cluster analysis. Data were analyzed descriptively and by the Mann-Whitney test and bi and multivariate logistic regression models, with significance set at 5%. Results: The students who reported not being afraid to speak in public were more likely to belong to the high SOC group (OR = 3.19, 95% CI = 2.30-4.42). Students from the high SOC group self-assessed more positively on the SSPS scale (p <0.001). Conclusion: College students over 30 years old, on the second half of graduation, with breathing discomfort, who do not report fear of public speaking and who perceive themselves more positively for public speaking, they have the highest SOC. Thus, it is observed the importance of considering the SOC as an important coping resource, given the great interference of emotional aspects in public speech.

 

Keywords

Sense of Coherence, Fear, Anxiety, Speech, Students

Resumo

Objetivo: Testar a associação entre o Senso de Coerência (SOC) e o medo de falar em público em universitários. Método: Estudo transversal, com amostra de 1.124 estudantes de cursos de graduação de uma universidade pública brasileira. Foi utilizado questionário online dividido em três blocos: o primeiro avaliou os dados sociodemográficos e os sintomas somáticos do medo de falar em público; o segundo avaliou o SOC, por meio do questionário SOC-13; e o terceiro foi composto pela Escala para Autoavaliação ao Falar em Público (SSPS), que norteia aspectos cognitivos dessa atividade. Os universitários foram divididos em dois grupos (SOC alto e SOC baixo) por meio da análise de Cluster de dois passos. Os dados foram analisados de forma descritiva e por meio do teste de Mann-Whitney e modelos de regressão logística bi e multivariado, com significância de 5%. Resultados: Os universitários que relataram não ter medo de falar em público apresentaram mais chance de pertencer ao grupo SOC alto (OR=3,19, IC95%=2,30-4,42). Os universitários do grupo SOC alto se autoavaliaram mais positivamente na escala SSPS (p<0.001). Conclusão: Universitários com mais de 30 anos, na segunda metade da graduação, das áreas da Saúde e Exatas, com sintoma de respiração ofegante, que não relatam medo de falar em público e que se autopercebem mais positivamente para falar em público, apresentam o SOC mais alto. Diante do estudo, observa-se a importância de se considerar o SOC como um recurso de enfrentamento importante, tendo em vista a grande interferência dos aspectos emocionais na fala em público.

Palavras-chave

Senso de Coerência, Medo, Ansiedade, Fala, Estudantes

Referências

Teixeira KB. Senso de coerencia materno: Relaçao com saude bucal de pre-escolares. 2006.

Eriksson M, Lindström B. Validity of Antonovsky's sense of coherence scale: A systematic review. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005;59(6):460-6.

Chu JJ, Khan MH, Jahn HJ, Kraemer A. Sense of coherence and associated factors among university students in China: Cross-sectional evidence. BMC Public Health. 2016;16(1):1-11.

Eriksson M, Lindström B. Antonovsky's sense of coherence scale and the relation with health: A systematic review. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006;60(5):376-81.

Henje Blom EC, Serlachius E, Larsson JO, Theorell T, Ingvar M. Low Sense of Coherence (SOC) is a mirror of general anxiety and persistent depressive symptoms in adolescent girls - a cross-sectional study of a clinical and a non-clinical cohort. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010;8.

Coutinho VM, Heimer MV. Senso de coerência e adolescência: uma revisão integrativa de literatura. Ciênc. saúde coletiva. 2014;19(3):819-27.

Moksnes UK, Lohre A, Espnes GA. The association between sense of coherence and life satisfaction in adolescents. Qual Life Res. 2013;22:1331-8.

Osório FL, de Souza Crippa JA, Loureiro SR. Aspectos cognitivos do falar em público: Validação de uma escala de autoavaliação para universitários brasileiros. Rev Psiquiatr Clin.. 2012;39(2):48-53.

Leal CG, Graeff FG, Del-Ben CM. Experimental public speaking: Contributions to the understanding of the serotonergic modulation of fear. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. Elsevier Ltd. 2014;46(P3):407-17.

D'El Rey GJF, Pacini CA. Medo de falar em público em uma amostra da população: prevalência, impacto no funcionamento pessoal e tratamento. Psicol Teor e Pesqui.. 2005;21(2):237-42.

Diagn M, Mentais SDET. Transtornos Depressivos - DSM - 5. Manual Diagnóstico E Estatístico De Transtornos Mentais - Dsm - V. 2013.

Bodie GD. A racing heart, rattling knees, and ruminative thoughts: Defining, explaining, and treating public speaking anxiety. Commun Educ.. 2010;59(1):70-105.

Burato KRS, Crippa JAS, Loureiro SR. Transtorno de ansiedade social e comportamentos de evitação e de segurança: uma revisão sistemática. Estud Psicol.. 2009;14(2):167-74.

Hofmann SG, Dibartolo PM. An instrument to assess self-statements during public speaking: scale development and preliminary psychometric properties. Behav Ther.. 2000;31(3):499-515.

Bonanato K, Ramos-jorge ML, Kaeppler KC, Pré-escolares MDC. Trans-Cultural Adaptation and Psychometric Properties of the “ Sense of Coherence Scale “ in Mothers of Preschool Children. Interam J Psychol. 2009;43(31):144-53.

Bendo CB, Paiva SM, Varni JW, Vale MP. Oral health-related quality of life and traumatic dental injuries in Brazilian adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol.. 2014;42(3):216-23.

Osório FDL, Crippa JAS, Loureiro SR. Escala para Auto-Avaliação ao Falar em Público (SSPS): Adaptação transcultural e consistência interna da versão brasileira. Rev Psiquiatr Clin.. 2008;35(6):207-11.

Moksnes UK, Espnes GA, Illefjel M. Sense of coherence and emotional health in adolescents. Journal of adolescence. 2012;35(2):433-41.

Santos AAL, Pereira EC, Marcolino J, Dassie- Leite AP. Self-perception and voice quality of journalism students. Rev. CEFAC. 2014;16(2):566-72.

Goberman AM, Hughes S, Haydock T. Acoustic characteristics of public speaking: Anxiety and practice effects. Speech Communication. 2011;53(6):867-76.

Geulayov Galit Drory, Novikov Yaacov, Ilya Dankner Rachel. Sense of coherence and 22-year all-cause mortality in adult men. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2014;78(4):377-83.

Silva M, Gonçalves B. Percepção De Estresse De Servidores Na Atenção Básica De Saúde De Dourados-Ms. Saúde em Redes. 2016;1(4):35-52.

Wai MFPorfírio, Carvalho AMP. Estresse Ocupacional E Senso De Coerência Na Enfermagem De Centro Terapia Intensiva. Revista de Enfermagem UFPE on line. 2014;8(10):3314-24.

Silva VLS, Chiquito NC, Andrade RAPO, Brito MFP, Camelo SH. Stress factors in the final year of undergraduate nursing: students perceptions. Rev. enferm. UERJ. 2011;19(1):121-6.

Aparecida R, Azevedo S, Nascimento ACF. Distúrb Comun. 2013;25(3):458-76.

Cheng J, Niles AN, Craske MG. Exposure reduces negative bias in self-rated performance in public speaking fearful participants. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. 2017;54:101-7.

Grevenstein D, Aguilar-Raab C, Schweitzer J, Bluemke M. Through the tunnel, to the light: Why sense of coherence covers and exceeds resilience, optimism, and self-compassion. Pers Individ Dif. Elsevier Ltd. 2016;98:208-17.

Marinho ACF, Mesquita AM, Gama ACC, Teixeira LC. Fear of Public Speaking: Perception of College Students and Correlates. J Voice. 2017;31(1):127-34.

Behlau M. Voz: o livro do especialista. 2001;2:430.

Graeff FG. Anxiety, panic and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria. 2007;29(1):3-6.


Submetido em:
09/06/2019

Aceito em:
19/09/2019

5f8d95d60e8825e628cb4689 codas Articles

CoDAS

Share this page
Page Sections